Login NowClose 
Sign In to perutribune.com           
Forgot Password
or if you have not registered since 8/22/18
Click Here to Create an Account

PPD: Man tased, arrested after threatening officers

BY Paige Conley - pconley@perutribune.com

A local man was arrested after allegedly threatening and resisting law enforcement during a Peru Police Department call Friday evening.

At approximately 9:14 p.m. on June 8, PPD Officer Jeremy Brindle was assisting fellow officers in a fight call and searching for a suspect in reference to the call when Brindle was advised of the location where the suspect might be, according to a PPD probable cause affidavit.

In his statement, Brindle stated that, when he arrived at the location, there were already several officers present and several civilians standing in the front yard around the officers. Brindle stated he was standing by with the other officers on scene when he noticed a man walking up to the residence.

Brindle knew the man from prior calls as Ernest G. McCord, 25, Peru. McCord reportedly began yelling at officers,after which Brindle instructed McCord to keep his voice down and to stop yelling, said the PPD affidavit. In response, McCord threatened to beat the officers and Brindle reportedly gave McCord one final warning to stop yelling and walk away.

“Ernest then turned around and stood within a foot of my face and stated, “I will beat your (expletive deleted),” said the PPD affidavit.

Brindle demanded McCord turn around and put his hands behind his back in which McCord allegedly refused and began to walk away. Brindle then reached out to take hold of McCord’s arm who immediately pulled away.

“I then grabbed Ernest by his arm and attempted to place it behind his back,” said the PPD affidavit.

McCord reportedly continued to resist even as Brindle managed to pin him up against the residence. Other officers on scene took a hold of McCord and tried to place his hands behind his back. McCord allegedly refused to obey officers and continued to fight them, Brindle wrote in the affidavit.

McCord was reportedly given a taser warning and didn’t heed the officer’s warning.

“Officers then administered a taser on Ernest which allowed officers to assist Ernest to the ground,” stated the PPD affidavit.

Officers were able to place handcuffs on McCord. During the course of the struggle, officers had to hold back the other subjects in the area as they began to get verbally and physically aggressive, according to the PPD affidavit.

McCord was transported and booked into the Miami County Jail without further incident. He is facing charges of disorderly conduct and resisting law enforcement. His bond was set at $6,000.