Login NowClose 
Sign In to perutribune.com           
Forgot Password
or if you have not registered since 8/22/18
Click Here to Create an Account

Late morning foot pursuit leads to arrest

BY Paige Conley - pconley@perutribune.com

A Miami County man was arrested Tuesday morning after leading Peru police officers on a foot pursuit through city streets.

According to a PPD release, Officer Russell Tussey arrived at a business in the 100 block of North Broadway at approximately 11:37 a.m. in regards to a man who was reported to have been trespassing.

Upon his arrival, Tussey entered the business and located the man, identified as Dennis Benson, 31, Peru, and asked him to exit the building to speak with him. Tussey reportedly had to ask Benson several times to step outside before he complied.

Once outside, Officer Miles Hewitt reaclled Benson had been served a trespass warning from the PPD on Aug. 4, which prohibited him from returning to the business.

After several attempts to get Benson to provide personal information, Tussey began to place him under arrest for trespassing-- during which Benson claimed he did nothing wrong.

“After grasping Mr. Benson’s right wrist to place him under arrest, he escaped the grasp of Officer Tussey and began to run south on Broadway,” stated information from the release.

Benson allegedly ran to Main and Broadway streets before cutting through the CVS parking lot. At this point, other officers began arriving in the area.

According to the release, Captain Matt Feller began to chase Benson on foot as he ran in a northwest direction in the CVS parking lot, then west down the sidewalk to Miami Street where he crossed Miami Street.

Lieutenant Dan Sofianos reportedly exited his vehicle and began to pursue Benson where he ordered him to stop or he was going to tase him.

“At this point Mr. Benson stopped running and put his arms in the air, just west of Miami Street on the north side of Main Street,” said the release. “Mr. Benson laid on the sidewalk with his face down.”

Benson was then handcuffed and escorted to Tussey's patrol car where he resisted getting back into the vehicle.

While attempting to put Benson into the vehicle, he reportedly kicked Hewitt.

Benson was transported to the Miami County Jail on charges of A misdemeanor trespass,  level 6 felony resisting law enforcement with bodily injury and level 6 felony battery on a police officer. He is being held at the Miami County Jail without bond.